Friday, May 10, 2013

Gestation period.

Oh look. I have a blog. Okay, I need to actually write in it.

I have now been in Germany for almost nine months. If I had just got pregnant when I moved, I would be having a baby right now. A few things have happened in this time, but not as much as one might expect.

One thing about this blog which I suppose I only ought to confirm here and now that I plan to be honest when writing. As honest as possible. I read countless blogs, many of which are written by lovely, amazing people who are travelling or have moved abroad or who have fascinating lives and stuff to tell. I am none of these things, and I have found life abroad really, really hard work.

I previously lived abroad: I spent a year in Dresden during my undergraduate degree as an exchange student at the university. If I had kept a blog back then it would fall into the above category of "people abroad having fun and showing off about it*". I had a blast in Dresden (PUN INTENDED) and have so many very fond memories of my Erasmus time there. Here I am now in Hamburg, miserable, lonely, and slowly losing all self-esteem**.

*I am simply jealous. Please carry on having fun.
**Sounds a bit dramatic when I reread this back.

The two most important things:
  • I moved in with Boyfriend. We live in a top-floor, beautiful flat with a balcony and sloping ceilings. Oh, and leaking windows. We've been filling it up with stuff and now we're about ready to move. Living together is awesome though.
  • I started working full-time in my first post-graduate career. It's both great and soul-destroying at the same time.
I said I was going to be honest. The main source of my depressed feelings has been my lack of a social life. I have simply found it incredibly difficult to meet people and make friends. At first I didn't worry and thought "these things take time". Now, it's been 9 months and I only know a very small handful of people in this massive city, and only really at an acquaintance-level. Everyone says "ooh get out there and meet people". Out where? Am I meant to wander the streets hoping to bump into a new BFF? Please, tell me where to go and I will run there so fast your neck will snap like in a cartoon.

In other fairly significant events, I broke both my wrists in April and experienced first-hand (har har) the German medical system, including surgery and a full 3 day hospital stay. All was fine, really. But if there is one thing I have learnt from all this, it's that when you enter the waiting room at the doctors, you are expected to greet the whole room with a loud "Good morning!" and if you do not do this, you are given the most evil glares I have ever encountered.

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I find you and your life abroad fascinating. The thing with most blogs is that people tend to only share the good stuff, and then we all sit here thinking: wow their life is so exciting! I hope you're feeling better, and that you can soon meet new people. I'm not going to tell you it'll be easy or suggest "getting out there" - because I'm also in a town where I have no friends, and I haven't got a CLUE how to make some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, people do only share the good & fun stuff I guess. I need to remember that next time I'm reading and get really jealous :(

      It's so hard to meet people & form friendships as an adult, and I can only imagine that it's really tough in your situation too. Fingers crossed for both us eh xx

      Delete